It is very important to take good care of hair extensions for expanding their life expectancy. Human hair extensions need not be washed as frequently as our own hair; wash only when they start to look dull and lifeless. Here are some tips on washing and styling.
wash hair extensions
1. Before shampooing, gently remove any tangles from your hair extensions. Always use a mild shampoo or one specifically formulated for chemically treated hair.
2. Run the hair under warm (not hot) water. Gently work the shampoo into the hair, stroking downwards from the weft base (top) to the ends. Do not twist, scrub or rub the hair.
3. When clean, rinse thoroughly under warm running water until the water runs clear. Be sure to rinse until all shampoo is removed, as improper rinsing may result in damage.
4. Just like your own hair, human hair extensions need to be conditioned after shampooing to maintain a healthy shine and promote styling ease. Place a small amount of conditioner in your hand. Gently work into the hair and let sit for three to five minutes. Rinse thoroughly in warm water and gently towel blot to remove excess water.
5. While wet, gently comb the hair to remove tangles. Using a large toothed comb, you should move in a downward motion away from the clips and to the ends. Do not use a bristle brush on wet hair as it may pull out or break the hair.
6. Hang to air dry, set in rollers, or use a blow dryer on a low setting, as desired.
Steam rollers and/or wet setting are the safest way to curl your human hair.
Blow dryers, curling irons and other thermal tools may be used on low settings. Remember, the hair may scorch if the setting is too high.
For cutting, or any chemical processes such as perming or coloring, take the extensions to a professional stylist.
Good care of your hair extension is very important and will guarantee a longer life expectancy.